What is SEO?
SEO stands for 'search engine optimization.' It is the process of getting traffic from the 'free', 'organic', 'editorial' or 'natural' search results on search engines like Google. SEO is important because it helps you get found by improving your rankings in Google Search results. So you're site pops up in page 1 not page 52.
There are many easy and effective ways that you can increase your ranking and bring brand new visitors to your website. The first thing you’ll need to do is (duh) create a website.
Okay, I have a great looking Wix website. Now what?
According to WIX SEO Wiz, here's what you need to check off on your site to nail the basics:
You can start by making small on--page changes such as:
1. Page meta tags: 'Your meta tags — or title, description and keywords — are what people see when they do a Google search, so they may be the first thing people read about your business. Optimize your title and description by filling them with the relevant keywords that your audience will use when searching for you.'
2. URLs: 'Choosing a unique, customized domain name helps people remember your business. You can even set each page within your site to have a simple, descriptive URL. These inner page URLs are clean and parameter-free.'
3. Heading tags: 'A header, or title, at the top of each page on your site tells your visitors what to expect—and it can also be optimized to help your site get found.'
4. Keywords in content: 'Wix makes it easy to customize your website’s content. Be sure to insert keywords that describe your business into the content of your website wherever relevant. Determine the best keywords for you by using tools such as Moz’s Keyword Tool.'
5. Text hyperlinks: 'The links that connect your pages. Linking to other pages in your site, as well as linking to other sites and getting other sites to link to yours, is a great way to improve your SEO.'
6. Alt texts: 'The description that gets your images indexed. Google looks for more than just content keywords and page titles when determining search results. Alt Text is content you can add to your site’s images so they show up in a Google image search'
7. Mobile optimization: 'Google values great user experience when determining search results, and sites that are mobile optimized rank better when searching from your phone or mobile device.'
Tools & Apps
There are plenty of great apps and tools that make it easy to improve your site's SEO. First up is Google Analytics. As Wix note, part of improving SEO is understanding where your visitors are coming from and what they're doing once they get there. Once you understand the site's user behavior you can improve the content. Another way to improve SEO and grow your audience organically is by making sure your site is steadily adding in fresh, detailed and relevant content by implementing a blog. Write articles about all sorts of topics and insights you might have surrounding your industry. And then make sure your site is as visible as possible by adding your site to local directories and search engines by creating pages on Yelp, Google, Yahoo and FourSquare for example. Site Booster is a useful app to help here.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to SEO in 2018. Contact us to learn more about SEO or if you want us to work with you on your SEO order our SEO website optimization package and get your site optimized for search today.